Migrating to the cloud can be the greatest business transformation tool of our time, capable of turning an unrealistic or impractical goal into an achievable reality. But doing this right requires a carefully fleshed out strategy, backed by diligent analysis and planning.
In this post, we discuss how Mission, an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner,
Migration Preparation with AWS TSO Logic
TSO Logic is a service offering that helps customers prepare for their cloud migration journey. Specifically, TSO Logic helps with the following:
- On-premises analysis. Ingest millions of data-points about the on-premise environment and perform cost-modelling. Identify current state on-premise compute resources, local storage, memory, and Windows licenses usage as well as related operational costs. Customers can run “pivots” - viewing their IT assets by drilling down into different groupings and get a detailed analysis of on-premise OS’s.
- Cloud Planning. Identify right-sized, lowest-cost AWS option for each workload based on utilization and adjust for over-provisioned on-premise resources to recognize significant savings. Identify which Microsoft licenses can move, where they can move and compare Bring Your Own License (BYOL) versus license-included options. Create multiple “what-if” scenarios.
- Business Case Creation: Flesh out the directional business case for the migration to secure stakeholder support and alignment. This includes projecting very granular future-stage costs of on-premise workloads in the cloud.
- Handoff: All the information for recommended right-sized AWS instances can be exported via TSO Logic to the customer or to another vendor such as CloudEndure, in a standard format for use downstream in the migration process.
The importance of planning
TSO Logic analyzed 104,283 on-premise OS instances deployed across 20 companies (see this link).
One of the key findings of this analysis was that if you directly moved all your on-premise workloads to AWS, you will see an approximately 20% increase in cost. However, if you take the time to rightsize your AWS workloads, you can see approximately 36% reduction in costs just in infrastructure alone.
Similarly, good license planning can also have a huge impact on your cost savings:
Migration Execution with AWS CloudEndure
AWS CloudEndure helps companies migrate a vast range of applications, databases, OSes and infrastructures into the cloud. Their streamlined and well-defined 3-step process can address all kinds of common cloud migration challenges such as legacy applications, complex databases, busy and continuously changing workloads, and downtime and performance disruption.
CloudEndure is a very robust enterprise-grade migration solution, designed for rapid, large-scale migrations even within highly secure regulated environments. With its non-disruptive continuous replication of data and short cutover windows, it has best-in-class ratings for Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and Recovery Time Objective (RTO) metrics.
CloudEndure has a simple setup that lets you get started in minutes with the same highly automated process for any workload (regardless of OS type/version, application, or DB) that minimizes complexity and risk of business disruption.
The CloudEndure Migration Process
The CloudEndure migration process has three steps:
Step 1. Install the agent and replicate to staging area
At source OS level, a very lightweight (using about 0.5% of CPU) CloudEndure agent is installed. Then an initial sync process is kicked off, in which the agent reads block level transactions from the on-premise environment. The agent then replicates the data to a staging area. The staging area is a light weight, low cost subnet where replication of disks from the source machines is stored.
Then tests and cutover drills are run into any desired AWS instances.
Step 2. Feed that data from TSO Logic
Complete the replication and calculation of cutover window. At this point, CloudEndure can also ingest the blueprint from a source like TSO Logic to optimize the instances to cutover.
Step 3. Make sure you are ready to go and then hit cutover
The staging is setup. The cutover window is setup. Now migration can be done. Take a snapshot of the volumes in the staging area, and then using the CloudEndure Machine Converter, convert these instances exactly as provisioned in the TSO Logic blueprint and then spin them up as EC2 instances for final deployment.
Cloud Migration Case Study - ATCC
ATCC maintains the largest and most diverse collection of biological materials in the world. They have molecular genomic tools, microorganisms, and even viruses.
ATCC’s environment (31 production services, 8 TB of data) was hosted in a data center for several years. However, suddenly, they were given a three month notice that their provider would be shutting down operations.
This presented a significant challenge because ATCC receives a significant portion of business from its e-commerce website and could afford virtually zero downtime.
The Solution and Process
With a significant effort ahead of them and a dwindling timeframe to migrate in, ATCC brought in Mission for their AWS expertise and migration experience.
The challenge in this migration was sequencing the migration of ATCC’s servers. You have to make sure you understand the environment (and its dependencies) that you are migrating and work out the sequencing.
Mission leveraged CloudEndure to do block level streaming migration of ATCC’s resources into the staging area over multiple trial runs, with no impact on the existing legacy datacenter environment.
CloudEndure’s automated migration process boosted efficiency and confidence. Several repeatable test migration runs informed the final migration plan. Dry-run environments were tested to build confidence for final migration. Following successful, tested, and validated dry-runs, migration happened in less than a single day.
- Entire environment was migrated in one day with no downtime
- 31 production servers underwent simultaneous replication
- The migration process itself was completed in under two hours
- Disaster recovery environment was also completed that same day
- ATCC was able to continue its e-commerce operations with no unplanned interruptions in service.
To learn more about how we can help you leverage TSO Logic and CloudEndure for your migration, contact us anytime.