How an AWS Migration Readiness Assessment can Ensure Success and Minimize Risk
If you were going on a road trip, you’d take a map app, right? Because believe it or not, migrating a workload to the AWS cloud is no different. In either case, the planning you do in advance is just as important as the journey you take.
A migration readiness assessment (MRA) is a structured, in-depth analysis of the workload being migrated to AWS. It asks a series of detailed questions to prepare you for seamless cloud migration. By following this self-guided checklist, you can ensure no important detail goes overlooked. It offers a methodology based on best practices that can help reduce risk, build a solid infrastructure, and lower migration costs. And by completing an MRA, your resulting AWS cloud environment will be of higher quality in terms of performance, availability, scalability, and cost than if you’d conducted your migration without one.
Don’t embark on your migration journey blindly. Avoid service interruptions, delays, and any of the countless problems that can occur by conducting an MRA with help from an expert AWS consulting partner. Here’s what to expect from an MRA, and how it can increase your AWS migration readiness.
AWS Migration Readiness Prepares You for Anything
The goal of an MRA is to clearly document what you need to migrate your workload to AWS. It will help you anticipate risks, cost, necessary processes, potential migration paths, and post-migration benefits. Essentially, conducting an MRA enhances AWS migration readiness, preparing you for all situations and preventing potential problems before they arise.
With an MRA in-hand, your firm will be fully equipped to make well-informed, data-driven decisions about your migration and learn the answers to your questions. Here are just a few of the important questions a thorough MRA should include:
- Is my workload a good candidate for migration to AWS? Learn if AWS is not the right solution for you before you invest time, work, and money in a migration.
- What, if any, re-architecture is required for my workload to support a move to AWS? If you’re using applications that aren’t easily portable, you must plan and budget for re-architecting accordingly.
- Does a “lift and shift” migration make sense for this workload? If your applications will require extensive redesigning, you may want to consider taking a different approach than AWS.
- How much would a migration to AWS cost? While AWS offers either the compute resources or data storage and transfer pricing models, you may need help in first estimating the costs of the migration itself.
- What would be the benefits of a migration to AWS? AWS offers a wide range of benefits, but it may offer your firm specific benefits based upon your particular computing needs. You’ll need this information to make an informed migration decision.
- What would the cost be for this workload upon successful migration? The cost to run a workload varies, and you’ll need to consider several factors before you can get any accurate cost projections. But having that information is important when budgeting long-term.
In other words, an MRA is the critical first step for an informed cloud migration. And because the above questions can require a complex process involving many different figures to answer, it’s best to consult an AWS consulting partner. They may be able to spot hidden benefits or cost optimization opportunities that may otherwise have gone unnoticed.
AWS has enormous potential to enable your business goals. But first, you need to know where you want your new IT infrastructure to take you. By enlisting an AWS consulting partner’s help in conducting your migration readiness assessment, you can be sure your migration will yield the optimal infrastructure to run your critical applications.
But where can you find the right consulting partner? If you’re looking for one that has performed dozens of successful AWS migrations, look no further than Mission. Our team has developed tested methodologies, documentation, and processes based upon our expertise. Our formalized process reduces risk, shortens timelines, and can enable you to migrate to the Cloud with full confidence. So if your organization needs guidance, let us help. Our solutions architects are happy to give you a free, one-hour consultation and to answer all your MRA-related questions.
When Is AWS’ Migration Acceleration Program Right for Your Business?
Want more from the cloud? Discover the AWS Migration Acceleration Program and learn when it’s best for your business.
Understanding How to Leverage AWS NoSQL Databases
AWS NoSQL databases offer better scalability and performance than relational database models. Learn how to maximize the value of your NoSQL databases.
Amazon Aurora vs. Redshift: What You Need to Know
When considering Amazon Aurora vs. Redshift, you need to know the basics of each database service. We explain how to find the best option for your business.